Monday, May 18, 2015

on being drawn

You might have seen my Face Book post about the film premiere our family attended on Friday.  It was created by a person I affectionately call "The Most Interesting Man in the World" (ala those Dos Equis commercials).  Jeremy Collins is, first and foremost, a husband and father.  But before all that (and to this day) he is an incredible artist, adventurist, mountain climber, humanitarian and all-around nice guy.

Over the years I've traveled vicariously through him as he transverses the world, climbing to heights that make my blood run cold and my stomach do flip-flops.

We were handed a passport-like booklet as we entered the theatre.  It featured artwork by Jeremy and the phrase "Go to where you are drawn." Compelling words.

Jeremy's film spans eight years as he travels north, south, east and west in a quest to honor a fallen comrade's memory and legacy.  In between summits we see Jeremy at home with his wife and two kids...an ordinary life with extraordinary perspective.  It's, at the very least, thought provoking.  It's also poignant, funny and scary as hell.  A thrilling ride, without the high priced admission fee to a theme park.

Along with the film, Jeremy wrote and drew "Drawn: The Art of the Ascent."  More glorious artwork, storytelling and glimpses into his never-ending quest for adventure and living life to the fullest.

How long has it been since I'VE done something that makes my stomach do flip-flops?  Ten years, twenty  years...ever?

It's been haunting me these past few days.

I've had plenty of time to consider what my next chapter might look like as I recover from my knee surgery.  I've had plenty of people ask me what's in my future.

I have no idea.

But I'll keep you posted.

Here are links to the trailer of the film and the opening title sequence...spend a few minutes on the summit before you come back down.

https://vimeo.com/100062478#embed
https://vimeo.com/110102970

No comments:

Post a Comment